Cognizant Foundation(CF) has set up seven Vision Centers in Karnataka and West Bengal, starting in 2017 as part of its special focus in Preventing Avoidable Blindness. This project was designed with the key objective to make eye care accessible to rural communities by setting up vision centers in villages.
CF has partnered with Operation Eyesight Universal (OEU), who plays the role of the knowledge partner. With the support of additional partners, vision centers set up as part of this project in the following locations caters to a population of over 3,50,000.
- One vision center in Helan, Hooghly District, West Bengal in partnership with Lions Seva Eye Hospital Jamalpur, West Bengal
- Two vision centers in Namkhana and Pathor Pratima, South 24 Parganas District, West Bengal in partnership with Sundarban Eye Hospital, Sultanpur, West Bengal
- Two vision centers in Mathabhanga, Coochbehar District and Mainaguri, Jalpaiguri District, West Bengal in partnership with Siliguri Greater Lions Eye Hospital, Siliguri, West Bengal
- Two vision centers in Mulbagal and Bangarpet, Kolar District, Karnataka in partnership with Globe Eye Foundation, Kolar, Karnataka
These Vision Centers provide a permanent eye care facility for the respective communities. The Vision Centers screen and identify cases with eye health problems. The Vision Center medical personnel prescribe spectacles to patients identified with refractive errors. They refer patients requiring surgeries and other eye health treatment to the base hospitals.Operation Eyesight Universal (OEU) is an international development organization committed to the cause of the elimination of blindness in Asia and Africa. OEU has implemented an innovative community eye-health programme to promote sustainable avoidable blindness free communities in India through the Vision Center model. OEU has established 104 Vision Centers in collaboration with its partner hospitals, spread over 63 districts in 15 states across India.
* Images are modified to protect privacy