Promoting child health
Improving access to quality health care for children from underserved sections
A routine day at school turned into a nightmare for little Suresh’s* parents. A school bus ran over their little son as he was playing on the street. He suffered horrific injuries and was rushed to the emergency ward for children at the Institute of Child Health and Hospital (ICH), Egmore, Chennai. He arrived at the hospital with no breath or heartbeat.
Undeterred, a team of 25 skilled doctors from various specialisations saved Suresh’s life after major eight-hour-long surgery. “Golden Hour Management – The initial first aid that helps stabilise and prepare the patient for life-saving treatment was crucial to Suresh’s miraculous recovery”, says Indhumathi, Professor & Chief, Paediatric Intensive Care Unit & Paediatric Emergency, ICH.
“A workman without tools is a handicapped worker. Cognizant Foundation’s funding helped us provide the machinery for the High Dependency Unit at the Institute of Child Health and Hospital for Children (ICH), Egmore, Chennai. This enhanced the power of health deliveries to the poor and needy at the hospital. The timely help has been a boon to many innocent lives.” – Dr Sailakshmi, Founder & Project Director, Ekam Foundation
*Name changed to protect patient privacy
Prompted by a strong desire to improve access to quality healthcare for children belonging to economically weaker sections, the Foundation has been supporting high-end medical equipment to augment the facilities in select child healthcare institutions that have been rendering yeoman service in this area.
The Foundation has partnered with the following institutions to improve the reach and quality of care for children
- Aishwarya Trust, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Ashray Akruti, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Balavikas Educational Society for Disabled Children, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Child Trust Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Government Stanley Hospital, Chennai – partnership with Rotary Club of Madras East Trust, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Government SNCUs, Hosur, Mettur, Pudukottai and Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu – partnership with Ekam Foundation, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Institute of Child Health (ICH), Chennai – partnership with Ekam Foundation, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, Bengaluru – partnership with Bangalore Cantonment Rotary Trust, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Parivaar Educational Society, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Thalassemia and Sickle Cell Society, Hyderabad
- The Voluntary Health Services (VHS), Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Tropical Health Foundation of India, Thrissur, Kerala